Please Note: The wound must be kept dry for the first 24 hours after the surgery. After 24 hours you may shower or bathe and get the wound wet.
Open Wound Care
In order to care for an open wound after surgery you will need:
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Antibiotic ointment or Vaseline
In order to assure proper healing of your open wound, we recommend the following wound care measures be completed twice each day:
- Remove the old bandage and gently clean off any crusted material using a clean Q-tip soaked in hydrogen peroxide. If there is a thick crust, you may need to apply hydrogen peroxide and allow it to soak the crust for five minutes in order to soften the adherent material. The crust should then be gently removed with the Q-tip.
- Dry the area with a dry Q-tip and then apply the antibacterial ointment or Vaseline to the wound area.
- If needed, cover the area with a Band-Aid. We recommend leaving the Band-Aid off if possible to let your wound heal without the irritation of the bandage.
- Watch for any signs of infection or allergic reactions to antibacterial ointments. Please call the office if you notice any of these problems.